I am a passionate Melbournian, and whilst life sees me mostly away from home, I love to share it with others. This guide encompasses my favorite spots in Melbourne. I’ve broken it down into sub-sections so you can pick and choose what appeals to you. Please feel free to share it with others.
Melbournians to follow (Instagram & Net)
• Broadsheet Melbourne – will give you some awesome places to eat , drink and activities for the weekend
• Melbourne Girl – drink, food and fashion
• Urbanspoon – Definitive food and drink guide
• Urban List – The hottest places in town guide
Where to take photos
• Block Arcade (Melbourne City)
• Melbourne GPO
• St Kilda Beach and Pier
• State Library
• Brunswick Street
• Bourke Street and Collins Street great for pictures of architecture
• ACDC Laneway
• Degraves St
• Centre Place
• Hardware Laneway
• Hoiser Laneway
• Cathedral Arcade
Make sure to have a look on my Instagram page to get some more inspiration
Melbourne is home of the coffee snobs! It really is a must in Melbourne…even if you hate it! Jump on Beanhunter it’s a great page and app which acts as a guide for the best of the best coffee in your current location.
• St Ali – In South Melbourne they are serious about coffee. My opinion the best in Melbourne.
• Dukes Coffee Roasters – Located on Flinders Lane Melbourne CBD
• Patricia Coffee Brewers – Located on Cnr Little Bourke St & William St
• Little Rouge – Located on Drewery Ln
Brunch is typically Melbournian, and you don’t have to enjoy it on a Sunday either. A really popular brunch dish is egg and avocado on toast (add some fetta delish!) and you can’t beat classic eggs benedict. Make sure to jump on Broadsheet and Melbourne Girl to get more brunch spots.
• Isit Cafe (11 Izett St, Prahran): My favorite meal is the Chorizo Eggs!
• The Kettle Black (50 Albert Rd, South Melbourne) – Instagrammable food and stunning interior design
• Two Birds One Stone (12 Claremont St, South Yarra) – While you are here go next door to Adriano Zumbo Patisserie to enjoy a sweet treat.
• Archies all Day (189 Gertrude St, Fitzroy)
• Chez Dre (285-287 Coventry St, South Melbourne) – Known for delicious French desserts
• Long Story Short (10/53 Coppin St, Richmond): Tim Tam Buttermilk Pancakes anyone?
• Tall Timber (60 Commercial Rd, Prahran) – Timber Benedict with slow cooked pork and apple cider hollandaise. How could you say no?
• Top Paddock (658 Church St, Richmond) – Two words….Ricotta Hotcakes
Bars and Restaurants
Lots of great restaurants and bars, I have listed a few of my favorites, make sure you look at Broadsheet, Urbanspoon, Urban List and Melbourne Girl.
• Mr Miyagi (99 Chapel St, Windsor) Must have the salmon taco and the espresso martini!
• Saigon Sally (2 Duke St, Windsor ) Vietnamese Food
• Hochi Mama (11 Liverpool st, Melbourne)- Vietnamese, bar, tapas and cocktails
• Sushi Monger (Causeway Inn On The Mall, 327 Bourke ) for a cheap sushi lunch in the CBD . However, be aware that from 12pm there will be a line, however it moves fast and it’s worth the wait.
• FOB Rolls (235-251 Bourke St,Tivoli Arcade)s great for a cheap Bánh Mi Lunch in the CBD
• Less than Zero (153 Commercial Rd, South Yarra) Drink and Bar food
• Glamarama (393 Brunswick St, Fitzroy ) Drink and Bar food
• Boston Sub (96 Chapel St, Windsor ): speak easy bar! Great Cocktail!
• Cookie (252 Swanston St, Melbourne) This place is a Melbourne Must!
• State of Grace (477 Collins St, Melbourne) A bar hiden behind a bookshelf. Oh so Melbourne.
• The Smith (213 High St, Prahran) Great place on a Sunday
• Pilgrim Bar (Vaults 15-19 Wharf Federation, Federation Dr) – Food and Drink great on a warm summers day or night!
• The Mill House (277-279 Flinders Ln) – Basement bar great drinks and great vibes
• Chuckle Park (322 Little Collins St, Melbourne) – A fun little laneway bar
Shop till you Drop
Melbourne is full of wonderful fashion. It is worth taking some time to have a look what is on offer.
• Emporium (287 Lonsdale St) – you will find all of Melbourne top leading retailers here along with a very chic food court
• Melbourne Central (La Trobe St & Swanston Street)- A famous shopping centre right in the heart
• Melbourne GPO ( 2/350 Bourke St)- The GPO has changed from a postal hall to a fashion hub. It’s a beautiful building to explore.
Arcades and Laneways
I personally love to explore and shop in the arcades and hidden laneways. They are all full of little boutiques and stores, always a treasure to find.
• Campbell Arcade (Flinders Street) – little quirky stores and you can create many Instagram worthy photos
• Block Arcade ( 282 Collins St) – Beautiful boutique stores
• Little Collins Street – lots of great little stores! Take a peek in at Zomp and Wanted Shoes, and if you are a tea lover T2 is your place.
• Chadstone – a huge shopping centre worth paying a visit to if you are a serious shopper
• Westfield Doncaster – They recently had a renovation, really modern center to have your shopping adventure
• Westfield Eastland: Another great centre to get your shop on
I hope you enjoyed my post on Melbourne. If you have any questions, queries, thoughts or enhancements please comment bellow!